Monday, August 01, 2016

Prayer of the Week


O Beloved,
create within me
a wholesome heart.

Let me live simply,
sharing what I have
with those in need,
that the abundance of your creation
might be reflected.

Let me speak out of the Silence,
that through the words given,
others will learn of You.

Come to my aid, Gentle Healer,
for my prayer is to You.
In your perfect timing, Beloved,
in the abundance of your Love,
answer my cry.

With your strength,O Rock, lift me up,
let me not sink into the mire;
Let me be delivered from my fears
as from deep waters.
Let not the flood sweep over me,
or the deep swallow me up,
or the abyss overwhelm me.

Increase my faith as you draw near,
Loving Companion Presence.
May many come to know You
within their hearts.
Surprise them with the Spirit of Joy,
that they might be glad
and rejoice!

– Excerpted from Psalm 69
as translated by Nan C. Merrill
in Psalms for Praying:
An Invitation to Wholeness


See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
You, O Comforter, Are Ever Near . . .
Discerning and Embodying Sacred Presence in Times of Violence and Strife
Called to the Field of Compassion
Thoughts on Prayer in a "Summer of Strife"
The Source is Within You
Prayer and the Experience of God in an Ever-Unfolding Universe
Quote of the Day – November 16, 2011
Sufism: A Call to Awaken
"Then I Shall Leap into Love"
May Balance and Harmony Be Your Aim
Prayer of the Week – November 5, 2013
The Most Sacred and Simple Mystery of All

Image: Alan Valdez, photographed by David Vance.


No comments: