Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Seven Principles for Living with Deep Intention


The following seven principles are derived from The Monk's Manifesto.

I first came across these principles for living with deep intention at My Soul in Silence Waits, a blogsite created by a woman simply known as Anne.

"The inspiration behind this blog," writes Anne, "is to share insights, quotes, prayers and ideas that have helped me to draw closer to God. It is a chronicle of my personal reflection and of my quest to find the heart of love and the gift – in each moment – within each person – and in each experience. This is a part of my life’s journey in the search of truth, hope, stillness, and love."



Seven Principles for Living with Deep Intention


1. I commit to finding moments each day for silence and solitude, to make space for another voice to be heard, and to resist a culture of noise and constant stimulation.


2. I commit to radical acts of hospitality by welcoming the stranger both without and within. I recognize that when I make space inside my heart for the unclaimed parts of myself, I cultivate compassion and the ability to accept those places in others.


3. I commit to cultivating community by finding kindred spirits along the path, soul friends with whom I can share my deepest longings, and mentors who can offer guidance and wisdom for the journey.


4. I commit to cultivating awareness of my kinship with creation and a healthy asceticism by discerning my use of energy and things, letting go of what does not help nature to flourish.


5. I commit to bringing myself fully present to the work I do, whether paid or unpaid, holding a heart of gratitude for the ability to express my gifts in the world in meaningful ways.


6. I commit to rhythms of rest and renewal through the regular practice of Sabbath and resist a culture of busyness that measures my worth by what I do.


7. I commit to a lifetime of ongoing conversion and transformation, recognizing that I am always on a journey with both gifts and limitations.




See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
A Guidepost on the Journey
May Balance and Harmony Be Your Aim
Thoughts on Christian Meditation (Part 1)
Thoughts on Christian Meditation (Part 2)
Thoughts on Christian Meditation (Part 3)
Thoughts on Christian Meditation (Part 4)
Thoughts on Christian Meditation (Part 5)
Diarmuid O'Murchú on Meditation: "A Gift Bestowed Upon Every Human Being"
Happy Birthday, Mum! (includes Thích Nhất Hạnh's thoughts on walking meditation)
Sufism: A Call to Awaken
Prayer of the Week – November 23, 2015
The Source is Within You
The Choice (and Risk) That is Love
For 2015, Three "Generous Promises"
The Most Sacred and Simple Mystery of All

Image 1: A still from Terrence Malick's 2005 film, The New World.
Images 2-3: Michael J. Bayly


No comments: