Monday, May 12, 2014

Quote of the Day

In my eyes there is nothing wrong with my son. This is what God gave me and what God created and someone I should never be asked to not support. For me to sign this [new contract], I feel like I would be telling my son I've changed my mind, that I don't support him as I did. And I won't do that.

– Molly Shumate
Quoted in Michael D. Clark's article,
"Catholic Teacher Backs Gay Son,
Quits to Protest Contract
"
Cincinnati Enquirer
May 10, 2014


Related Off-site Links:
Catholic School Teacher Quits Over New Contract That Tells Her to Condemn Her Gay SonPink News (May 10, 2014).
Documents Show Cleveland Diocesan Plan to Curtail Teachers’ Rights – Bob Shine (Bondings 2.0, May 10, 2014).

UPDATE: The Culture War and the Self-Destruction of Catholic Schools – Charles J. Reid, Jr. (National Catholic Reporter via The Progressive Catholic Voice, May 15, 2014).

See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Words of Parental Wisdom and Authority
The Bishops' "Guidelines": A Parent's Response
Grandma Knows Best
Truth Telling: The Greatest of Sins in a Dysfunctional Church
Compassion, Christian Community, and Homosexuality
Minnesota Catholics, LGBT Students, and the Ongoing Work of Creating Safe and Supportive Schools
The Two Editorials that Benilde-St. Margaret's Catholic High School Doesn't Want You to Read
GSAs and the Catholic High School Setting
Quote of the Day – October 4, 2010
Thoughts on the Firing of Kristen Ostendorf
Dave Navarro to LGBT Youth: "We Need Your Voice"


No comments: