Sunday, May 12, 2013

Springtime by the Creek


. . . Minnehaha Creek, that is!


As I've mentioned on several previous occasions, I'm very fortunate to live quite close to Minnehaha Creek. In fact, I can see it from my bedroom window!

A tributary of the Mississippi River, Minnehaha Creek starts at Gray's Bay at Lake Minnetonka and winds 22 miles through the cities of Minnetonka, Hopkins, St Louis Park, Edina and Minneapolis before flowing into the Mississippi just beyond Minnehaha Falls.

I've come to greatly appreciate and enjoy spending time walking and exploring along that part of this beautiful ribbon of water as it winds through the area of south Minneapolis where I live. And of course it's been an especially wonderful thing to experience the changing seasons when living so close to Minnehaha Creek and its surrounding parkway and areas of urban wilderness.




This past Friday, May 10, I walked with my friends Rick and Brian eastwards along the creek to Chicago Ave. and Turtle Bread Cafe and Bakery. Then on Saturday, my friend and housemate Tim and I walked westwards along the creek to Lyndale Ave. On both occasions I had my camera with me and so can get to share with you today some images of springtime along Minnehaha Creek. Enjoy!









Right: My friend Brian on one of the many bridges that span Minnehaha Creek.










Left: My friend Rick, the soon-to-be new spokesmodel for Perrier!









Above and below: Views of Minnehaha Creek and surrounding area – Friday, May 10, 2013.




Above: Saturday, May 11, was much cooler than the day before. But that didn't stop Tim and I from setting off for Washburn Library on Lyndale Ave., and the nearby coffee shop!






See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
The End of a Very Long Winter
Photo of the Day – April 22, 2013
Spring Snow
Shadows and Light
A Winter Walk Along Minnehaha Creek (March 2013)
Winter Storm (December 2012)
An Autumn Walk Along Minnehaha Creek (October 2012)
A Springtime Walk Along Minnehaha Creek (March 2012)
Waiting in Repose for Spring's Awakening Kiss
A Springtime Prayer

Images: Michael J. Bayly, Brian Hutchins, and Tim Lynch.

No comments: