Friday, May 08, 2009

Courageous and Hopeful

I read the following in yesterday’s Minneapolis Star Tribune. It’s a quote by Maine Governor John Baldacci (pictured at right), who on Wednesday signed the same-sex marriage bill passed by Maine’s Legislature. I find Baldacci’s words to be quite courageous and hopeful.

It’s not the way I was raised and it’s not the way that I am, but at the same time I have a responsibility to uphold the constitution. That’s my job, and you can’t allow discrimination to stand when it’s raised to your level.


See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Maine Becomes Fifth State to Allow Same-Sex Marriage
Love and Justice in the Heartland
The Same Premise
The Mayor’s Change of Heart
Another Victory in Connecticut
What Straights Can Learn from Gay Marriage
Love is Love
The Changing Face of “Traditional” Marriage
New Studies: Gay Couples as Committed as Straight Couples
The Real Gay Agenda

No comments: