Sunday, December 28, 2008

Exeter


After my week in Sydney (see here and here), I traveled by train to the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, approximately 100 km south west of the “Harbour City.” Here I visited my friend Kerry who lives in the village of Exeter.




For six years before my relocation to the United States in 1994, I lived and taught in the nearby rural city of Goulburn. Although I didn’t manage to visit my former home during my recent time down south, I nevertheless enjoyed reconnecting with Kerry and spending time in the beautiful part of Australia she happily calls home.

One of the many beautiful features of the Southern Highlands is the spectacular (and extensive) gorge system that cuts dramatically across the landscape and takes in Moreton National Park; numerous State Forests; and, further south toward Goulburn, Bungonia State Recreation Area.

It’s just a short distance from Kerry’s house to one of the State Forests that borders this system of gorges and escarpments. We visited this area on December 20, 2008, and, as you’ll see, it’s a place that makes for some stunning photographs.








Above and below: A pathway made by wallabies through a fence in the corner of a paddock.




Above: Kerry with one of her two cats - December 22, 2008.


See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
“Harbour City” Sights
Newtown
Port Macquarie

. . . and the 2006/07 posts:
Southern Highlands
Goulburn Revisted
Goulburn Landmarks
Remnants of a Past Life (Part 1)
Remnants of a Past Life (Part 2)
Goulburn Reunion

No comments: