Thursday, April 10, 2008

Happy Birthday, Ryan


In the United Kingdom today, my eldest nephew (and godson) Ryan celebrates his 18th birthday.

Happy Birthday, Ryan!

No 18th birthday would be complete without a little looking back. So, Ryan, here’s a few pics from the archives of “Uncle Mike”!



Above: Christmas in Australia, 1998. And a young Ryan has received a cricket set from Santa! Howzat?



Above: Ryan with his grandma (my Mum) in April 2003, a few months before Ryan and his family relocated to the United Kingdom from Australia.



Above: Ryan in Port Macquarie, Australia, surrounded by (from left) his brother Liam, his Dad (my brother) Chris, and his great grandmother (my paternal grandmother) Nanna Smith – Christmas 2004. I was not in Australia for Christmas that year, but my Dad later sent me a number of photos, including this one.

Chris is wearing a Minnesota Vikings t-shirt that he bought when he visited me in the Twin Cities a few months earlier.



Above: Ryan with his three brothers and two (Bayly) cousins - July 2006.

From right:
Brendan, Layne, Ryan, Mitch, Liam, and Sami. I took this photo during my longer-than-expected sojourn back home in Australia (May 2006-January 2007) as I awaited the completion of my application for U.S. green card status.

While I was in Australia, Ryan and his family visited from the United Kingdom during the last week of
July 2006. It was the first time since January 2001 that the entire Bayly family (my parents, myself, and my two brothers and their families) had been together.



Ryan with his great grandmother, Nanna Smith, in (above) December 1992 and (below) December 2004. Nanna passed away in October 2005.



Above: Port Macquarie, July 2006. From left: My Dad, Chris (Ryan’s Dad and my brother), Mitch, Cathie (Ryan’s Mum and my sister-in-law), Ryan, my Mum, and me.

The “Baylys of London”’s visit to Australia in July 2006 was the last time I saw Ryan and his family, but not the last time the family visited Australia. My Dad sent me the photo below of Ryan and his three brothers during their July 2007 visit to Port Macquarie.


In August of this year, Ryan and his family will visit me here in Minnesota, an event that I’m greatly looking forward to!


See also the previous Wild Reed posts:
Happy Birthday, Sami
Happy Birthday, Layne
Happy Birthday, Brendan
My Brother, the Drummer
Like Father, Like Daughter
A Rabbit’s Tale
The Bayly Family - July 2006
Catholic Rainbow (Australian) Parents
Gunnedah
Remembering Nanna Smith


No comments: