Saturday, July 01, 2006

Alva Beach

On the weekend of June 24-25, Jeremiah, Kristy, and I enjoyed time camping and fishing at Alva Beach, situated north of Townsville near the town of Ayr. Also with us were Wendy and Paul and their dog Roxy.



We pitched our tents at the Alva Beach Caravan Park, set amidst a coconut grove. The place was filled with all types of birds – including a whistling kite that would swoop down and catch in its talons the pieces of roast chicken that Jeremiah threw into the air.




We spent much of Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning fishing on the sand bars and mud flats of Alva Beach. It was a very relaxed time at a very beautiful place.

I’ve come to realize how much I’ve missed the expansiveness of the Australian landscape. It’s going to be difficult going back to Minnesota – as beautiful as it is in its own unique way. I clearly wouldn’t last long in a crowded place like Europe.

I’ve also been reflecting on the role that the broad, sun drenched surroundings of my homeland may have played in the development of my outlook on life – including my theological outlook.

I have a hard time with clutter – physical or mental. I like "elegant simplicity", and the idea of there being space for all at the table and in God’s design. Yet so much of humanity’s religious outlook is cluttered with oppressive doctrines and dogmas that not only narrowly and rigidly segregate and limit people and their experiences, but dismiss and/or belittle the diversity intrinsic to God’s creation.

It’s a wonder I didn’t sink beneath the mud flats of Alva Beach with such heavy thoughts!








NEXT: Last Day in Townsville

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know who you are but Alva beach is SOUTH of Townsville- I spent my teenage school year holidays there & my parents grew up in Ayr & Homehill